Our Mission: To bring Christ to the poor and the poor to Christ.
Our Value Statement: Sharing Christ with all in need.
Our Core Values: Faith, Integrity, Commitment, Compassion, Respect.
Chalice US is a Catholic nonprofit that primarily supports community initiatives in 15 countries through the sponsorship of children and elderly in need.
Chalice began in Canada in 1996 as Christian Child Care International, an independent Canadian Catholic child sponsorship organization. Our name changed to Chalice in January 2008. Throughout all of our changes the core of Chalice has remained the same. We are a ministry of the Catholic community, creating relationships of life and love wherever we serve.
Since its inception Chalice Canada has grown to serve almost 50,000 children and elderly. Our goal is to share our message throughout the United States and spread Chalice’s mission to share Christ’s love with all in need through Chalice US.
Why donate through Chalice US?
- Chalice commits over 90 percent of its spending in support of programs.
- Every Sponsor Site we assist is under local direction. We work closely with lay people, religious missionaries and local communities, believing that those who live and experience the difficulties of poverty in developing countries are also those most knowledgeable and capable of responding to its effects.
- Those accepted into the sponsorship program are received based on need regardless of gender, race or religious affiliation.
- In Canada, Chalice has been recognized by MoneySense Magazine as one of the best run Canadian Charities for the past 6 years. Chalice US follows the same guidelines for financial integrity.
- All sponsored children must be enrolled in school (if they are mentally and physically able), but beyond this parents or guardians decide what their family needs to thrive.
- With guidance from site staff and a local group of guardians (mostly mothers and grandmothers), families decided what they need to succeed.
- This can include: Nutritious food, health care, education and skills training, improved living conditions or start-up funds for a small business or farm.
- Chalice recognizes that when given the support and encouragement, caregivers will make good decisions that benefit their family.
On behalf of those we serve around the world, I thank you for your interest in the work being supported by Chalice US. Our simple goal is to bring Christ's loving presence to those suffering the sorrowful stress of poverty. This core mission began when one person, responding to Christ's call and the urging of the Holy Spirit, decided to help one other person through sponsorship. It continues today because others joined in that mission.
With thanksgiving, I have seen Christ coming to many children, parents and elderly. Through the sponsorship of a child, or a gift from our catalogue, or the support of a community project, Christ came to a hungry boy as he was fed, to a sick girl or mother when given medication, to a classroom filled with children joyous at the opportunity to go to school rather than be forced into work. I have seen Christ come to a whole community when a school was built, or a clinic supplied, or when several small houses replaced tarpaulin shacks. I have seen Christ come in each of these circumstances because one more person acted on a similar call and urging of God's Spirit.
Today, I hope that person is you.
If so, I pray that through your action, you too will see Christ coming to those in need of His loving kindness.
Fr. Patrick Cosgrove, President
A Message from the National Director for Chalice US
You've visited this page, which means there's a good chance you have a heart for others and demonstrate your faith by the good you do. We're excited to grow the mission and ministry of Chalice US across the United States.
We'll be living the same core values that have always been the hallmark and identity of the Chalice mission ever since its inception: sharing Christ with all in need, with faith, integrity, commitment, compassion and respect.
I invite you to join us to make an even greater impact across our world for those we are privileged to serve in Christ's name.
In Christ, Champion of the poor always,
Fr. Rich LoBianco, National Director, Chalice US